PIONEER TEACHER CENTER POLICY BOARD MINUTES
DATE: January 8, 2018
TIME: 4:00 p.m. – Middle School - Room D120 – Curriculum Office
IN ATTENDANCE:, Susan Dressel, Frank Guzzetta, Michael Irizarry, Thomas Izydorczak, Giorgio LoBianco, Jennifer Palmerton, Mary Rauscher, Deborah Rickerson, Mary Lou Sworts, Jill Wilkie
- CONSENSUS REPORT – Minutes – December 4, 2017
Motion: To approve Consensus Report as presented.
1st Frank Guzzetta 2nd Giorgio LoBianco Carried: Yes
- Forthcoming Meetings
- February 1, 2018 - NYSUT Office, Williamsville
- February 5, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- March 5-7, 2018 - NYSTC Spring Symposium/Committee of 100-Albany, NY
- March 12, 2018 – Policy Board meeting (due to conflict w/state mtg.)
- April 9, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- May 7, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- May 17, 2018 - Buffalo State College – Farwest Regional meeting
- June 4, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- State, Curriculum/TC Updates
- Workshop Updates – The 2018-2019 tentative workshop list was reviewed
by the District Superintendent and Director of Curriculum and Instruction. The list was also forwarded to all administrators for their review. The Microsoft Applications description will be revised and updated by the Director of Curriculum and Instruction and the Director of Computer Operations. An MOU will be required for courses starting during the last week of June. The Director of Curriculum and Instruction hopes to have a final decision on the MOU by February 1, 2018. Final feedback will be requested for input into the course catalog which will be distributed March 1.
- ELA/Math Next Generation Standards – Next Generation Standards for
ELA and Math have been released. The Teacher Center Director and Director of Curriculum and Instruction will work together to organize the unpacking sessions.
- Breakout EDU – Breakout EDU kits and usernames/passwords have been
distributed to the four buildings. The Policy Board discussed feedback received on the kits.
- CTLE Identification Number Change: The Center’s CTLE ID has been revised and is to be used on all future CTLE certificates issued by the Teacher Center. Appropriate changes have been made.
- Webmaster Update
Discussion: The website is currently up to date. Following the meeting, the website will be updated with the December board minutes and February 5 meeting date.
- Building Liaison Information
- 2017-2018 Some summer payments are overdue
- 2017-2018 workshops available – sign up promptly
- PDP Timekeeper is due 2 weeks prior to start of workshop. Please do not start working on course work before receiving approval.
- Registrations are required for workshops, sent to TC in electronic or hard copy
- Reflection Forms will be sent to participants for completion one month before the designated due date. Completed forms should be sent to the Teacher Center and the course instructor.
- If individuals have taken workshops form outside providers, they should contact the Teacher Center for a Reflection Form. Reflection Forms will not be available online due to being specific to each workshop
- Please remember that all Reflection Forms should be typed and submitted electronically.
- Reminder that Breakout EDU kits are available for use.
- 2018-2019 Workshop Discussion
Discussion: The Policy Board reviewed the 2018-2019 workshop offerings.
Discussion was held as to the number of courses offered. The Policy Board approved the proposed workshops with any needed changes from district administration.
Motion: To approve the tentative 2018-2019 Pioneer Teacher Center Workshop Catalog, including any administrative changes or revisions that may occur.
1st Sue Dressel 2nd Frank Guzzetta Carried: Yes
- 2017-2018 Workshops/Registrations
- Current registration for 2017-2018 workshops (201)
- Spring workshop – Hanging In-Strategies for Teaching Students Who
Challenge Us Most – The Policy Board agreed to the following dates for the course: February 26-April 20th, with reflection due by May 11, 2018 in order to meet district deadlines for flow of paperwork.
- AIS/RtI Strategies – Due to the receipt of only one registration, the Policy Board deemed it necessary to cancel this course.
Motion: To cancel AIS/RtI Strategies due to insufficient registration.
1st Tom Izydorczak 2nd Sue Dressel Carried: Yes
Motion: To approve an additional section of online course, Hanging In-Strategies for Teaching Students Who Challenge Us Most.
1st Tom Izydorczak 2nd Mary Rauscher Carried: Yes
- Independent Study – Final Course approval
- Occupational Therapist – Rachel Eising & Darla Kent - Final work was reviewed
by the Policy Board which demonstrated that the individuals completed above and beyond the required thirty hours of work.
Motion: To give final approval of the Independent Study Occupational Therapist workshop.
1st Giorgio LoBianco 2nd Sue Dressel Carried: Yes
- Pioneer Teacher Center Logo Gear for New Teachers
Discussion: The Center always gives the new teachers a welcome packet when they
begin at Pioneer, including an introduction to the Center, its resources and workshops available. Instead of the coil keyring provided in the past, suggestions were sought from the Policy Board for an item that would be useful to new teachers. Ideas like a retractable ID tag holder, portfolios, fleece or flash drives were suggested. The Policy Board will continue to search and make future suggestions.
Motion to Adjourn:
1st Giorgio LoBianco 2nd Mary Rauscher Carried: Yes
ADJOURNED: 5 p.m.
NEXT MEETING: February 5, 2018