PIONEER TEACHER CENTER POLICY BOARD MINUTES
DATE: November 6, 2017
TIME: 4:00 p.m. – Middle School - Room D120 – Curriculum Office
IN ATTENDANCE: Susan Dressel, Frank Guzzetta, Michael Irizarry, Thomas Izydorczak,
Robert Morgan, Jennifer Palmerton, Mary Rauscher, Deborah Rickerson, Mary Lou Sworts, and Jill Wilkie
- CONSENSUS REPORT – Minutes – October 2, 2017
Motion: To approve consensus report as presented.
1st Mary Rauscher 2nd Deb Rickerson Carried: Yes
- Forthcoming Meetings
- December 4, 2017 –Policy Board meeting
- December 7, 2017 - Erie 1 BOCES
- January 8, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- February 1, 2018 - NYSUT Office, Williamsville
- February 5, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- March 5-7, 2018 - NYSTC Spring Symposium/Committee of 100-Albany, NY
- March 12, 2018 – Policy Board meeting (due to conflict w/state mtg.)
- April 9, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- May 7, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- May 17, 2018 - Buffalo State College
- June 4, 2018 – Policy Board meeting
- State, Curriculum/TC Updates
- Fall Focus Summary
The director attended the NYSTC Fall Focus at NYSUT Headquarters on October
- More information was provided on how to best evaluate programs offered by Teacher Centers. It was the consensus of many that it was not necessary to travel for this particular meeting. Teacher Center Zoom or Skype meetings have been very effective in the past.
- Workshop Updates
All workshops except the online RtI/AIS Strategies course have registrations.
- ELA/Math Next Generation Standards
The new ELA/Math Next Generation Standards have been approved. The director will work with the Director of Curriculum and Instruction to execute the planned unpacking of the standards by grade level teacher leaders.
The TC director’s current iPad has almost reached capacity and needs replacement.
The Policy Board discussed the purchase of a new iPad with input from the Director
of Computer Operations.
Motion: To approve purchase of new iPad for TC director.
1st Sue Dressel 2nd Rob Morgan Carried: Yes
- Webmaster Update
All information on the website is up to date. The web page will be updated with the December Policy Board meeting and approved October Policy Board meeting minutes.
- Building Liaison Information
- 2017-2018 summer payments due by end of October
- 2017-2018 workshops are available – please sign up promptly
- PDP Timekeeper is due 2 weeks prior to start of workshop—Please do not start working on course work before receiving approval.
- Registrations are required for workshops, sent to the TC in electronic or hard copy format
- Reflection Forms will be sent to participants for completion one month before the designated due date. Completed forms should be sent to the Teacher Center and the course instructor. If individuals have taken workshops from outside providers, they should contact the Teacher Center for a Reflection Form. Reflection Forms will not be available online due to being specific to each workshop.
- Please remember that all Reflection Forms should be typed and submitted electronically.
- The Teacher Center has received grant monies, so Breakout EDU kits have been ordered. Upon their arrival, staff will be notified of their availability.
- Needs Assessment Results – 169 received by due date; 172 total received
- Last year’s total Needs Assessments received was 101 responses, so this year there was a noticeable increase!
- Needs were organized from greatest need to least. The Policy Board began discussing possible courses for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Results from the District Initiative – Curriculum & Instruction
Microsoft Office 365
Book Study - Differentiated Instruction/Whole Brain Teaching
Integrating Technology into Curriculum
Microsoft Applications for the Classroom
AIS/RTI Strategies (Math, Reading, Writing, iReady)
Book Study - Literacy Strategies
Book Study - Kagan Structures
Integrating Science Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math (STEAM)
Autism Spectrum Disorders
Literacy in the Elementary Classroom (PK-6)
NYS Next Generation Science Learning Standards (PK-12)
Book Study - Math Strategies
Safety First Class for PE Staff and Coaches
Flipped/Blended Classroom - Parent Resources
Guided Reading and Assessments (IRIs, Running Records, Fluency Checks) (PK-4)
Thoughtful Education Lesson Plan Design
Literacy in the Secondary Classroom (7-12)
Common Formative Assessments
NYS Next Generation English Language Arts - ELA (PK-6)
NYS Next Generation Math Standards (PK-6)
Data Driven Instruction Model/Data Analysis
NYS Next Generation English Language Arts - ELA (7-12)
NYS Next Generation Math Standards (7-12)
- Results from the District Initiative – PBIS and Supports
Teaching with Poverty in Mind (Eric Jensen, poverty simulation)
Book Study - Discipline/Motivation
PBIS (CKH, Discipline without Stress, Love and Logic)
- 2017-2018 Workshops / Registrations
Current registrations for 2017-2018 workshops is 196. The number of registrations has increased from the same time last year. Reminders have been sent to staff about signing up for courses early, along with proper procedures.
Discussion: The Policy Board discussed several laminator choices which were
presented. After reviewing the various machines selected from the Internet, they were impressed with two of the machines. These companies are to be contacted to obtain more information and possible quotes. All decisions have been tabled until the December meeting.
- Breakout EDU – Upgrade
Eight Breakout EDU kits were ordered as per the grant. An email confirmation
arrived with an offer for an upgrade of the program platform that comes with Breakout EDU kits. There is an annual fee. The Policy Board discussed the need for the additional programs, including whether these programs might be available through BOCES. It was decided that the upgrade might be extremely valuable at this time, as a “pilot program” for future decision making.
Motion: To purchase the 8 Breakout EDU Platform Upgrades for a total of $200.
1st Frank Guzzetta 2nd Rob Morgan Carried: Yes
Motion to Adjourn:
1st Tom Izydorczak 2nd Rob Morgan Carried: Yes
ADJOURNED: 5 p.m.
NEXT MEETING: December 4, 2017